I went to the Utah Team Championships yesterday. I teamed up with an unrated guy from my school named Jordan Wunderlich (probably a 1000 strength player) and a 368 rated player named Jason Salaz. I was the top board for the team (I'm rated 1157).
Since the top boards for the teams always play each other, I got stuck playing the best people from each team. The first round I almost managed a 30-move draw against a 1900, but he managed to fight it out in the end. Second round I got an easy win against a 400, and then was crushed subsequently by an 1800. I then lost my last game to an extremely talented unrated player, partly because he was so good, partly because I underestimated him and played too fast, and partly because I was hungry, tired, and ready to go home. In fact, he beat me in eight moves! (I was white in the game 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 d6 3.f4 Nc6 4.Nf3 Bg4 5.h3 Bxf3 check 6.Qxf3 Nd4 7.Qd1 e5 8.fxe5 Qh4 check, and he has mate in one.) So all in all, not a great tournament for me (in fact, probably the worst since my very first one). Jordan lost to a 1400, won against a 100, lost to another 1400, and won against an unrated (the wife of the unrated I played).
No comments:
Post a Comment