Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Realization

I attended a K-12 chess tournament on Saturday in West Jordan.  It went well; I scored second overall with four and a half points out of five.  However, directly after the chess tournament, I actually felt really bad about the result; I was the top rated player in the tournament, and had been expected to beat everyone.  In other words, I was not happy with a good result; it had to be the best.  Later that afternoon, about two hours after the chess tournament, I came to the conclusion that this was an unhealthy mindset for me to be in, and that it had to stop.

Today, in sacrament meeting, a solution was made apparent to me; be thou humble.  My mindset of having to win everything has been brought about by arrogance and pride.  I must let go of my obsession with being the best, though I still believe it important to progress, and instead focus on playing good chess in general, and not worrying about the final result and beating myself up about it.  Also, I have to keep in mind that all my victories come from the gifts and help God has given me, and accept losses as they come. 

No comments: