I'm writing this post in between sessions of LDS General Conference. There have been lots of great talks so far, and it's been a great privilege to be able to listen to these inspired men and women say what the spirit would have them say and tell us how to improve our lives.
Part of listening to Conference is knowing how to listen, or rather, what frame of mind to be in when listening. Yesterday, during the second session of conference, my concentration was starting to slip. I'm ashamed to say that I even started reading a book. I realized (with some encouragement from my dad) that there really was no point in being present at Conference if I wasn't truly listening. I started to look for applications to my own life in the talks. I listened for themes, and what the speaker and the spirit were probably trying to get across, and this helped me focus on the talks so well that I barely noticed the passage of time and the session was over in what seemed a surprisingly short amount of time.
Listening with the intent of understanding is helping me get more out of Conference, and I'm sure it'll help me in other areas too. Thanks for helping me see that dad. =)
1 comment:
Excellent! (Do you say "You're welcoem" to something like that?) There was a lot of good stuff in there, wasn't there. Thanks for letting me know that sometimes parents make a difference :-)
Post a Comment