For those of you who do not know, I belong to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and every year we have two semiannual general conferences in which we have the opportunity to hear from our prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, as well as members from his councilors, the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and from the Quorum of the Seventy, as well as women's leaders in the church. This last general conference was this last Saturday and Sunday, and it was probably the most enlightening one I have ever listened to.
Something that was out of the ordinary and special even for a general conference happened at this one: President James E. Faust died this last summer, and a new general authority was called. Now the First Presidency consists of President Gordon B. Hinkley, President Thomas S. Monson, and President Henry B. Eyring.
Henry B. Eyring was not the person I had expected to be called to the First Presidency, although he is a great speaker. However, I do think that he will do well in the future, and have been impressed by the two talks that I have had the pleasure of listening to from him, which were on dealing with overwhelming callings and jobs (which he can certainly relate to!) and on seeing the Lord's hand in your life, and on passing his light onto others. His talks were probably my favorite, and I look forward to further adresses from him in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment