Yesterday I went to the Utah Speed Chess Championship, a 7 round, 14 game tournament to determine the top Utahn speed players.
I went to this tournament determined to break the 1200 mark (being below it marks me as a rookie). I was the highest ranked player in the under 1200 section with a rating of 1189 and was therefore expected to cream everybody, but it didn't quite turn out that way.
My first game was supposed to be my easiest, but turned out to be my worst. I lost to Alexander Kenneth Gustafsson 1.5 to .5, with one loss and a draw. This was a big blow to both my rating, my pride, and my chance of getting the Speed Champion title. Luckily, I won the next two games, but I was still behind the leaders.
I ended up in third place with 10 points out of 14 possible after desperately clawing back some games, but my rating still dropped about 60 points. Ah well, I'll do better next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment